“Keep The Flu At Bay, The Natural Way”
Based on an article in Winter Wonderland, June 5, 2011 By Susan Edmunds.
Winter is almost here meaning it’s a great time to remind ourselves of the basics when it comes to colds and flu’s to keep us all healthy and at work and University.
Although taking daily vitamins and having an annual vaccination are great ways to keep well, there are also more traditional methods that have been proven to help out.
Here are some hints for our Face and Body Team & Clients:
- Reducing the amount of sugar in our diets. “It has been shown that sugar can compete for receptor sites on white blood cells, effectively blocking out the Vitamin C module and its immune enhancing activities.”
- Having a fresh, healthy, colourful diet. This will help us to get the range of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals we need to resist infection.
- Reducing stress in our daily lives. Stress, although often unavoidable can leave your immune system more vulnerable. Even though it is easier said than done, try to relax and defuse stress. Sleep is great and it is free.
- Upping Vitamin D and Vitamin C intake. Most people respond well to vitamin C and it is recommended that people who feel like they are coming down with something take 1000mg up to four times a day but not with an oral contraceptive as it weakens its contraceptive actions!
- A more natural ‘cure’ is the herb andrographis paniculata. This herb stimulates production of immune cells, which fight bacteria and viruses. It also has anti-inflammatory benefits making it great for sore throats, headaches and sore necks/backs. Start this at Easter weekend.
- Olive Leaf extract – hones the immune system naturally. Start taking some in April through to September.
- And of course the basics – washing hands, sneezing into tissues and regular exercise ; at least 30 minutes of exercise each day.
Complied by Kathryn at Face and Body Blockhouse Bay.
+64 9 817 4807
298 Titirangi Road, Titirangi,
Auckland, NZ Ph:
At Face & Body, we recognise your time is valuable and offer appointments to suit your needs.
We ask please that you give 24 hours notice when cancelling your appointment. No Shows, or cancellations with less than 24 hours notice, will be charged at 50% of their appointment cost to recover the costs in salon.
If you are unwell or cannot utilise your set time you may elect to send a friend, a family member or colleague to utilise your appointment time.
We also require credit card details, your gift voucher details or a deposit made in salon, to secure all appointments 1 hour or longer. We appreciate your support and understanding of this policy.