Waxing is one of the most popular and affordable types of hair removal. Both men and women can enjoy the benefits of having smooth, hair free skin. However we must maintain this smooth, hairless skin. Waxing aftercare is essential to prevent unsightly ingrown hairs, bacterial infections, scarring, itching and having to resort to using antibiotics.
What are in grown hairs and what can I do to prevent them?
Ingrown hairs form when dry skin cells block the surface opening for hairs growing back after shaving, waxing, electrolysis or any other form of hair removal. Failing to grow out of the skin, the hairs curl inside the follicle underneath the skin and the resulting foreign body reaction causes an unsightly infectious bump. Both women and men suffer from ingrown hairs. To prevent ingrown hairs from forming you must follow the appropriate homecare advice:
- Removes the dead skin cells from the top layer of the skin.
- A coarse dry body mitt can be used on dry skin after waxing before showering each day. Dry brushing is a must.
- This needs to be done at least 2-3 times weekly, start 3 days after your waxing treatment.
- This nourishes and protects the skin from excessive flaking or irritation.
- This should be done every day. (Manuka Honey Hand & Body Cream).
- By nourishing the skin the hair is able to grow out onto the skin’s surface.
- Exfoliate the skin at least 2-3 times a week.
- Moisturise every day using Manuka Honey Hand & Body Cream.
- Apply Tend Skin on cotton wool to dry skin of any ingrowns occur. Daily for up to a week.
- Exercise for at least 48 hours after your waxing treatment. Sweat is a breading ground for bacteria!
- No sun/sunbed exposure over the waxed area for at least 48 hours; it will burn severely.
- Do not touch the area with fingers for at lease 48 hours afterwards to avoid cross infection.
- No harsh soaps or acid based products to be applied as these will irritate freshly waxed skin.
- No saunas, public pools, hot spas or hot showers for at least 48 hours afterwards to avoid cross infection. P.S. Cooler showers are fine.
Men’s skin is thicker than women’s and they sweat more than women also. Therefore when it comes to waxing; homecare is essential. At Face & Body we strongly recommend that all our male waxing clients should go on the sunbed for at least 3 minutes after their waxing treatment. The ultra violet light is very antibacterial – so going on the sunbed for a short period of time will not burn or tan the skin but kill any bacteria in the open hair follicle and prevent men from getting folliculitis. Men should be using the coarse back mitt to prevent ingrown hairs and must also follow the same routine as women.
Dry brushing or rubbing on dry waxed skin (pre shower not in the shower) is essential. Start 3 days after your wax.
Brush vigorously to remove the unwanted dry skin cells on the surface of your skin that can create blockages in the top of the follicle. This will prevent hair from growing into the skin.
Tend Skin is especially good for around your neck and chin area where the combination of shaving and business-shirt collars rubbing create itching and ingrown hairs.
Men talk to our skin therapists with regard to Men’s Facials and Microdermabrasion treatments.
+64 9 817 4807
298 Titirangi Road, Titirangi,
Auckland, NZ Ph:
At Face & Body, we recognise your time is valuable and offer appointments to suit your needs.
We ask please that you give 24 hours notice when cancelling your appointment. No Shows, or cancellations with less than 24 hours notice, will be charged at 50% of their appointment cost to recover the costs in salon.
If you are unwell or cannot utilise your set time you may elect to send a friend, a family member or colleague to utilise your appointment time.
We also require credit card details, your gift voucher details or a deposit made in salon, to secure all appointments 1 hour or longer. We appreciate your support and understanding of this policy.